List everyone you know professionally with whom you want to reconnect. Motivate yourself by starting with people you like, respect and share mutual work or personal interests.
- Make connecting a priority. Schedule time weekly to contact different people.
- Connect in whatever way you prefer: talk by phone, have coffee/lunch, work out together, etc.
- If your time for connecting is limited, use e-mail
- To meet new contacts attend all hands meetings, seminars and other talks. If you prefer, go with a colleague/friend for support when meeting new people.
- Create ways to motivate people to connect with you:
– Give presentations and speak with audience members afterwards
– Include your e-mail address on your presentations and handouts
– Work with people outside your job group: Contribute to a cross-functional team
– Participate in a community volunteer project
- Express appreciation for your contacts’ help and tell them how their information was of value to you
- Build mutual connections by sharing information, contacts and referrals with others
- Follow through with information and referrals from contacts